Repair and Clean
You are in a price range where buyers like clean. The last thing they want to be concerned with is fixing or cleaning there new Fredericksburg Waterfront Homes. Don’t go overboard and spend a ton of funds. Just repair or replace items, clean and paint where needed. Visit some of your Fredericksburg area new home models to get staging ideas.
Some of main areas of concentration are:
· Walls – Clean or paint with neutral colors like antique white with bright white trim. Use flat paint in bedrooms, living and family and dining rooms and semi-gloss in kitchen and bathrooms.
· Interior – Hire a professional cleaner to deep clean your waterfront home’s interior. They will clean carpets, windows, blinds and wood floors.
· Exterior – Use a pressure washer to clean driveways and home exterior to remove stains, or paint the exterior a neutral in style color. A dirty or scum covered home sticks out like a sore thumb. Repaint your front door.
· Yard & Patio – Bring in a professional landscaper to trim the shrubs and trees, cut the grass and bring color in the garden area, Clean the pool and pressure wash the deck. Make an entertaining oasis.
· Waterfront – Replace or Repair boards in dock. Pressure wash dock or pier and then allow drying. Paint or stain. Check bulk heads and seawalls. Give these areas a fresh coat of paint. Clean the beach. Remove any vegetation and debris. Clean and or paint the boat house. Get rid of the spiders and webs with a broom. This area is the main selling feature. Don’t overlook it.
Staging Your Waterfront Home
Your home’s appearance should be high on your list or priorities. Don’t let your agent or a photographer take photos until you have it ready for presentation. Remember, the world will see it. Have it showing at its best.
· Remove all clutter– Open the floor plan by removing clutter and rearranging furniture. Let room for the buyer’s imagination...
· Make waterfront views Panoramic – Lift the shades. Clean the windows and remove anything obstructing water views. If allowed, remove trees or bushes to create spectacular views from as many rooms as you can.
· Stage the entertaining areas - Create areas for entertaining such as on the deck or patio with grill and chairs with water views.
· Leave out information of the water source – Purchase a nautical map of the waterway or lake displaying water depths. You may also place other information like area history and receipts for past work or improvements here. Buyers love information. They will also see that you are organized and more than likely took great care of the home.
Set Your Price to Sell
There are many factors to consider when pricing your Fredericksburg Area Waterfront Homes. Don’t study your comps by price per square foot. Avoid websites that practice this method. Contact a Fredericksburg Realtor with waterfront home sales experience. I’m an expert in this field. Price and presentation are the keys to success. I’m so picky; I won’t even photograph on cloudy or rainy days. I realize that your home is not just a piece of property, but your domain. I treat clients with the respect and honesty I would expect if the shoe was on the other foot. I’m a retired law enforcement office with an expertise in negotiation. Well, enough about me.
Factors that influence waterfront homes selling prices include:
· Location, location, location – Luxury community, near commute, schools, water source.
· Lake or River Size – Deep Water sources that allow power boats demand higher prices.
· Waterfront lot and home size and style- Large waterfront lots with waterfront style homes are a goldmine.
· Amenities Offered - Community and personal amenities like pools and tennis courts.
· Water Characteristics- What is the water quality, ecosystems, etc.
Be on the lookout for real estate agents who may tempt you by offering a high listing price. They are attempting to buy your listing. This usually adds to your selling time frame. They usually bring the price below where I suggest, only months later. Contact me today for a private meeting.
By: Tom Smith
Associate Broker, Century 21 Adventure Redwood